Data Import From another EHR
The ability to import client data, offering 'Simple' and 'Advanced' template options!
Click here to view a quick video tutorial.
In This Article:
- Simple Client Data Import
- Advanced Client Data Import (use if your clients have insurance policy information to import)
- Common Hang-ups
- Troubleshooting Data Import
- Group Practices
Client Data Import
If you are a provider or owner importing clients assigned to yourself, this feature is located on the left menu item My Profile > Client Data Import section
Practice Settings > Staff > Click the Provider's Name > Client Data Import
Determine the preferred option (simple or advanced), then download the appropriate template to get started.
Simple Client Data Import
The simple data import allows the user to download a template/example .xls file that included patient demographic information. Follow Step 1, first downloading the template and additional instructions. Plug information into the fields, then follow Step 2.
Advanced Client Data Import
Before beginning the data import, ensure all the insurance companies that are going to be billed are already set up in your TherapyAppointment 2.0 Insurance Library. Read more on that process here.
The advanced data import option allows the user to download a template/sample .xls (Excel) file, with columns included for the client's insurance information.
The column named ' Insurance Companies' will contain a drop-down list of the Insurance Companies listed in account's insurance library at the time you download the template.
- First download the advanced template with additional instructions. Plug your information into the fields
- Then follow Step 2.
- Not using the dropdowns for fields like "insurance company name" as well as "gender" (you must click on the cell and use the dropdown to select the values, or the system will not recognize it. One important helpful tip is to create one dropdown (IE: Male, or one of your ins. companies) and then copy/paste it to the remaining gender fields for the remaining clients (or if you have a longer section like 4 or 5 you can drag the selection from the bottom center to "copy" to the fields you pull down to).
- Date of Birth is a required field.
- For Advanced (insurance) imports: the policy # is a required field if you enter an insurance company (or any insurance information) for that specific client (if you did not enter an insurance company for that client, it is not required and may be blank).
- In order for the insurance company to blank, you cannot have any data entered after that for the insurance related information (columns N onward)
- Please ensure you start your data on the second row (which is colored green): If you skip the second row, you will likely run into an import that imports zero clients because of that skipped row. Deleting the row if you skipped it should resolve this.
Troubleshooting Data Import
If you receive an error message, such as ' your file contained invalid data', open the updated excel file the system will send to your downloads folder, and fix all cell areas highlighted in red, shown below:
Importing Zip Codes beginning with a 0
For the zip/postal code for either (simple or advanced) data import, enter a ` to precede the 0 in the zip code, so for example zip code 01234 should be input as `01234
What symbol again?The ` key may also show the symbol ~ on it as well, the tilde key.
There are some special considerations for uploading your data into TherapyAppointment if you are a practice of two or more providers. Fist, assess how the clients will be accessed:
1. The group typically uses a ‘team treatment model’, where more than one provider treats or documents on a client.
- Create a triage account.
- Next, upload all of the clients to this triage account.
- When completed, go to each client’s ‘records’ tab and ‘share’ with providers who will be treating the client.
2. A 'team treatment model' is not typically used:
Clients are treated typically by only one provider (the occasional client may be seeing more than one provider in the system)
- Ensure the client data being imported is divided out by provider (i.e. only provider Jane Doe’s clients) by using a separate template for each provider.
- To do this, an owner or manager will need to upload their specific list of clients in the import file by going to the left menu item Practice Settings > then on the tab Staff > Then click on the Provider's Name you wish to import under > and find the section Client Data Import .
- Then click "Step 2:..." and upload the individual provider import files to the respective provider accounts
Other Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I import my client's diagnosis? Not at this time
- Can I upload my client's records? If you have chart records as a PDF, you can upload it under the clients profile in their "Docs & Forms" tab at the top, then under the third section "Documents On File"