Client Self Scheduling: common issues
If you client tells you that they are in the patient portal and aren't allowed to schedule, it's usually because you haven't enabled your account to allow for client self-scheduling. There are three different areas in your settings to double check are completed correctly:
Within the Article:
Client Scheduling Online
First Step: Review your Client Portal Settings and Ensure You've Allowed Client Self-Scheduling:
- Click My Profile from the left-hand menu
- Navigate to the Client Portal Settings section, Online Scheduling. Be sure that you have said 'Yes' to the question "Allow clients to schedule online?" To change your answer, click the Edit button. Save your changes.
Second Step: Check the settings under your CPT code list. [If you are managing a group practice the provider might have a set of unique codes they are using.] You must have an owner or manage role to access this setting.
- Click Practice Settings from the left-hand menu
- Select Billing & Insurance from the top tabs
- Select the CPT Codes.
- Open up the CPT Codes section by clicking 'Set Up'.
- On the right-hand side, click the box "Client can schedule?" for each desired CPT code you wish a client to select from, giving client scheduling access.
**NOTE : The code's name in the 'Name' field is seen by clients who are scheduling (ex: Diagnostic evaluation for 90791). You may edit this name if you wish. If you are using our telehealth integration option, you can also click the 'Telehealth Enabled' option if you allow clients to schedule as telehealth sessions.
- After any changes made, click Save in the bottom right corner.
Third Step: Check your availability settings.
It's likely the availability calendar scheduling options have not been defined. To check to see if you're allowing patients to self schedule:
- Select My Schedule from the left-hand menu
- Select Edit Availability
- On Your Weekly Availability, ensure that you see the 'World Symbol' on Within the Availability Calendar section. You will notice on the example below, that the World Symbol is not showing on the Friday slots, meaning that a client has the potential to schedule into appointment times Monday-Thursday, but not on Fridays.
In this case, if you wish to allow clients to self-schedule on Fridays, you'll need to Click on top of a Friday Block, then go to the right side editor and check the box to Allow Clients to Schedule Online. The 'World' symbol will now populate on the block, indicating that the times are available for self-scheduling.