Therapist Schedule and Appointments
The Schedule function allows a therapist and their admin team (if any) to view their upcoming schedule in a variety of ways, and to manage your main responsibility: seeing and charting on your clients!
Read on to find out more about scheduling and appointments within TherapyAppointment!
In This Article:
- Schedule View
- Schedule Options
- Share your free/busy schedule with other providers
shield_lock Required Roles:
- To see the entire practice schedule, you must be an Owner or Front Office Scheduler role
- Providers have view of their own schedule, and would need the above role to see all other provider's schedules in the practice
- Providers may see a busy/free overview schedule of other providers without the scheduler role if the other therapist enables it
- For more info, see the section below about Find Availability
The Schedule (left menu) gives you an overview of appointments for providers:
Check out our dashboard article to see your day at a glance as well: The Dashboard.
First, here's an overview of the schedule of a normal, single provider:
Within the Schedule at the top right you can toggle your view [ Month / Week / Day ] shown below:
The Month tab does not show availability. It also does not allow you to create appointments (but you can create meetings).
Monthly view only shows scheduled appointments and meetings. To see availability instead, please consider using either the Week, Day, or Find Availability view.
Create New Appointment or Meeting
- Similar to other calendar programs, to create an appointment or meeting just click on the date and time on the calendar
- Clicking on the schedule will open a new appointment popup
- By default, Appointment is selected as the 'type' but you can switch it to a meeting or OOO:
Then, fill in the details:
From the new popup shown above, enter the client name and select them from the dropdown. If a group, enter a portion of the group name.
Here we list the appointment details:
- Who (provider)
- When (date/time)
- Where (office location)
- CPT code
- and telehealth option (if enabled) for the appointment
edit_note Note: Want advanced options like repeat appointments or meetings?
Once the information above is entered, click the button at the bottom:
Schedule Feature: Next Appointment Warning
When you are scheduling, and have a client name entered in the popup, you will see a handy feature of the client's next upcoming appointment, to avoid booking too close to the client's other appointments, with a color coordinated warning legend explained below!
You'll see 3 different warning types / colors:
- Red if an existing appointment is on the same day
- Orange if an existing appointment is within a calendar week of the one you are scheduling
- Blue if the client has an upcoming appointment outside those two timeframes above
This is something you are free to disregard, the system does not block you in any way, it's just an alert.
Here's an example of the Orange warning:
Reschedule an Appointment
To reschedule an appointment, you have one of two options:
1. If it is on the same week, you can just "drag & drop" the appointment, example shown below:
2. From the Schedule, click on the appointment and go to the top Scheduling tab.
From there you can change the date/time of the appointment, alongside other things.
On the far right menu once in the Schedule, you'll notice the following options shown below:
Collapse the Menu
Click the arrow button (top right) to hide the right menu for a larger schedule view, shown below:
This will give you a little more room. To show again, click on any portion of the collapsed right menu.
Right Menu Options:
- New Client: Create a new client and then optionally schedule them for an appointment (as well as additionally sending a client portal invite all in one action!)
- Edit Availability: Edit times staff and/or clients can see: Calendar Availability Set Up
- Calendar Settings:
- Allow other providers in your group to see a busy / free version of your schedule (click here)
- Manage your private Google Calendar Sync
- Connect your Zoom account
- Managing holidays on your schedule
- Go to Date: Takes you to a specific date on the calendar
- Calendar Start Time: This allows you to set when your "day" starts (the "top" of the schedule).
To do this you'd first click on the hour # first, then the minute #
Refresh the page to apply the changes
- Therapist Filter: Pick and choose what providers you want to view (we support viewing deactivated provider schedules as well!):
Rearrange Providers on the ScheduleWant a particular order instead of alphabetical?
To do this, click the X to the far right of all the providers names to clear out all providers (optional). Then, pick in order from left to right which providers you wish to populate your schedule.
- Location Filter: Filter by office location
- Show Cancellations: opt to hide or show (in red) cancelled appointments on the schedule
- Legend: shows the colors of appointments based on their status
This is a handy feature that combines your availability into a hybrid calendar: showing you a monthly view to the right, and with whatever date selected reveals it's availability on the left.
This may be also be handy if you have a client in the office that wishes to see your availability as well, since it doesn't reveal client names until you begin typing to search for the client when scheduling.
We also incorporate icons based on your availability sections, so you and staff have a quick 'heads up' view of which appointment types a provider should have scheduled. Article: Availability Setup
These are visible to the right of the availability slot, example shown below:
- The right is your monthly view. We default to the first available slot based on your availability
- Click on any date on the right to pull up the times for that date on the left
- The left is your daily view for any therapists selected
- Each free slot will be shown with the time and color of location
- It will also use iconography to denote the slot type, hover over each icon for an explanation:
- domain Means clients can self schedule in person
- videocam Means clients can self schedule telehealth
- language Means clients can self schedule (in general)
- If not available (appt, meeting, or no availability set), there will be no button for that time
schedule Need a time other than what's listed?If there are no timeslot buttons, you can still schedule an appointment that day!
At the top center just beneath the name of the provider, click
Optionally, set filters at the bottom right like:
- Client Name
- Therapist Tags (more info)
- Appointment length
- Number of weekly visits (total repeat)
- Time of day
Each therapist can have none, one, or many tags. Multiple providers can have the same tag, and you can use this when filtering availability, making it easy for your practice to organize providers. Select the tag(s), then select the providers.
Article: Therapist Tags Set up
Create an Appointment
- Click the time buttons on the left (ie: 8:00 AM) to load a prompt to schedule an appointment for that date & time:
- This loads an appointment pop up similar to the schedule:
- Similar to the schedule, you can click Book it to schedule, or More Details to set more advanced options, including repeat appointments
Want other providers to see your free/busy schedule?
You can share a free/busy schedule with other providers in your office. To enable this setting as a provider, go to:
- Schedule (left menu)
- Then Calendar Settings (right button)
- At the top you will see this option shown below:
- Practice Settings (left menu)
- Then Staff, then click on their name, then find Calendar Settings and click
After enabling, other providers in your group will be able to see your availability from either their Schedule, or their Find Availability feature!
On the far right menu, click on the Therapists filter and check off each provider you wish to see the availability of:
This also shows you a similar "Next Appointment Warning" feature described in an above section (add the client name as a filter on the right first):