Managing Appointments: No Shows, Cancellations
When a client late-cancels or no-shows an appointment, follow this process to accurately document and/or charge the patient for the late cancel/no show.
To begin the process, you may start from many places to get to the same end:
- From the schedule, click on the appointment
- From the dashboard click on the appointment listed under 'Today's Appointments'
- From the 'Today' view, click the appointment
- From the patient's appointment tab in their profile, click on the appointment.
Then, select [Cancel Appointment] as shown below:
You're then provided the cancellation page for the appointment:
- Reason/Note Section: Information entered into this text field will be entered onto the appointment screen itself, and is available for admin and the provider to see.
- CPT/Fee: Use the dropdown to select the code or fee that you are charging for the cancelled appointment. We support charging for both Custom CPT codes as well as System and Standard CPT codes. Need assistance with CPT codes? Creating Custom CPT codes
- Charge Saved Card?: If your account is connected with credit card processing and the client has a card on file to charge for missed or late appointments you may automatically charge that card for the missed appointment fee.
- Make Chart Entry?: Entries made into this field become a 'quick note' in the patients clinical record.
On the appointment screen, the notation will be on the right side, and indicate the staff member who canceled/marked the appointment, along with the reason.
In the calendar view indicated below, IF you have selected the option on the right to Show Cancellations? the canceled client appointments for this provider will show up as a RED colored appointment, and clicking on the appointment will reveal the appointment screen pictured above.
In the appointment's billing tab (pictured below the yellow section) as well as the client's profile Billing tab within their profile, the no-show will be listed along with the service fee:
Didn't charge a CPT code for a cancelled appointment and now need to?
Note: If you did not opt to charge a fee (CPT Code) in the cancellation, you will NOT be able to add a CPT code later to this particular appointment. You would need to re-add a new appointment for the client for the same date/time, then cancel the new appointment again opting to charge a fee / CPT code, and charge the card on file at the same time.
If you DO charge a fee / CPT code, regardless of if you process a payment now or not, you can at any later time change the CPT code, or owed amount by the client by clicking on the appointment DOS, then the Description column of the current CPT code charged, and change the CPT code there and save (example DOS of a No show shown below:)